Pasta with Tomatoes, Garlic, and Basil
- cooking spray
- 8 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 cups seeded and diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- 8 ounces pasta (any kind you want)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons shaved Parmesan cheese
- Lightly coat a heavy non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Place over medium heat and add the garlic slices. Cook slowly until garlic is lightly and evenly browned.
- Reduce heat to low and add tomatoes, basil, salt (if using), and pepper. Cook just until the tomatoes are heated through (about 3 minutes).
- Meanwhile, cook capellini according to package directions to al dente. Pour in a cup a cold water (to stop the cooking), then drain and place on a pasta plate or in a large bowl.
- Drizzle pasta with olive oil and toss to evenly coat.
- Arrange the hot tomato mixture on top and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese shavings.
- Serve at once, tossing the mixture as you serve.
|Per serving:||201 calories (18% calories from fat), 7 g protein, 4 total fat (1.0 g saturated fat), 34 g carbohydrates, 2 g dietary fiber, 3 mg cholesterol, 70 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||2 1/2 carbohydrate (bread/starch), 1/2 fat|