Pasta with Tomato and Sausage Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 large ribs celery, finely chopped
- 4 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 pounds chicken sausage with sun-dried tomatoes or nonfat turkey sausage
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- 1 cup low-sodium canned beef broth
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups water
- 4 28-ounce cans no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 2 pounds ziti
- 3 cups shredded nonfat mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Heat the oil in a heavy pot. Add the carrot, celery, and onion. Sauté for 10 minutes over medium low heat until the onion is very soft. Turn the heat up and add the sausage meat and cook, breaking up into bite size pieces, until cooked through. Add the mushrooms and rosemary. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in the beef broth and raise the heat, reducing the liquid by half. Add the tomato paste and water. Bring to a slow simmer and cook 1 hour. Add the tomatoes.
- Cook ziti to al dente, according to package directions. Drain well, reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking water. Add the pasta water to the sauce. Toss the pasta with the sauce.
- In each of two 3-quart or larger casseroles, place 1/6 of the pasta. Top each with 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat these layers twice. Sprinkle each casserole with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Cover each casserole with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another 5 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and browned.
|Per serving:||406 calories (9% calories from fat), 28 g protein, 4 g total fat (0.9 g saturated fat), 66 g carbohydrates, 5 g dietary fiber, 31 mg cholesterol, 998 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||2 very lean protein, 4 1/2 carbohydrate (3 1/2 bread/starch, 3 vegetable)|