Microwaved Baked Potato
- 1 5-ounce baking potato, scrubbed and pricked several times with a fork
- ¼ cup frozen mixed vegetables
- ½ tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon dry-roasted sunflower seeds
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the potato on a paper towel in the center of the microwave oven. Microwave on HIGH (100%) power for 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 minutes, until potato is tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from oven and let stand for 4 to 5 minutes. (You could wrap it in aluminum foil at this point, if you wanted; when you're eating it, it will make it neater.)
- Meanwhile, place the vegetables and water in a small microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on HIGH (100%) power for 2 to 3 minutes, until just tender.
- Carefully open the potato by cutting a slit in the top and gently pushing the potato from both ends (protect fingers with hot pads or paper towels) to loosen and the potato pulp. Fluff the potato with a fork.
- Spoon the hot vegetables into the potato. Top with cheese and sunflower seeds.
|Per serving:||183 calories (17% calories from fat), 9 g protein, 4 g total fat (1.9 g saturated fat), 31 g carbohydrate, 4 g dietary fiber, 10 mg cholesterol, 136 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||1 1/2 carbohydrate (1 1/2 bread/starch), 1 vegetable|