Mediterranean Chicken Stew
- cooking spray
- 2 whole bone-in chicken breast (2 pounds total), skinned and cut into quarters
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow or red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peel and cut into cubes
- 1 14.5 ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 2 cups fat-free low-sodium canned chicken broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Lightly spray a covered non-stick pot with cooking spray. Add the chicken and brown over high heat for 2 minutes, turning chicken once. Lower the heat and transfer the chicken to a plate. Set aside.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the pot except the reserved chicken pieces. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pot, cover, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is barely falling off the bones.
- Divide the sweet potatoes and chicken between 4 shallow soup plates. Raise the heat under the pot and reduce the sauce for 2 minutes, stirring constantly (this will thicken it). Pour some of the mixture over each serving; serve at once.
- 429 calories (10% calories from fat)
- 39 g protein, 5 g total fat (1.3 g saturated fat)
- 58 g carbohydrate
- 8 g dietary fiber
- 90 mg cholesterol
- 132 mg sodium
- 4 lean meat
- 3 carbohydrate (3 bread/starch)
- 3 vegetable