Meat and Mushroom Pub Pies
- ½ frozen puff pastry sheet, defrosted
- 1 pound ground beef sirloin
- 6 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 ½ cups chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons crushed dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups fat-free low-sodium canned beef broth
- 1 tablespoon bottled steak sauce
- ½ cup frozen peas, rinsed with cold water and drained
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to 6-inch square. Using a sharp knife, cut into twelve 1/2-inch strips. (Or you can just cut squares to fit over your ramekins.)
- In a heavy skillet over medium-high heat, brown beef, mushrooms, and onion until beef is no longer pink (about 5 minutes). Sprinkle mixture with thyme and flour.
- Add beef broth and steak sauce; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in peas. Spoon mixture into ramekins about 5 inches in diameter.
- Arrange two pastry strips in a wide X over each casserole. Place a third strip across the center. Press overhangs firmly to sides of casseroles to seal. (Or just fold your puff pastry square over the ramekin.)
- Bake until pastry is puffed and golden brown, about 15 minutes.
|Per serving:||430 calories (47% calories from fat), 29 g protein, 22 g total fat (5.8 g saturated fat), 28 g carbohydrate, 3 g dietary fiber, 41 mg cholesterol, 219 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||3 lean protein, 2 carbohydrate (1 1/2 bread/starch, 1 vegetable), 2 fat|