Meat and Cheese Subs
- 1 14 1/2-ounce loaf of Italian or Parisian style crusty bread, sliced in half lengthwise with soft inside discarded leaving 3/4-inch shell intact
- 6 ounces roasted turkey breast, shaved thin
- 6 ounces low salt, low fat ham, shaved thin
- 4 ounces skim milk Swiss cheese, sliced thin
- 1 large firm ripe tomato, 1/2 pound, thinly sliced
- ½ cucumber, 4 ounces, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- Line the bottom half of the bread with turkey, ham, and cheese. Top with tomato and cucumber slices. Spread the lettuce over the top.
- Top with the second bread half and tightly wrap in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, slice off and discard the bread ends. Cut the remaining sub into 6 portions.
|Per serving:||263 calories (15% calories from fat), 22 g protein, 4 g total fat (1.7 g saturated fat), 33 g carbohydrate, 3 g dietary fiber, 31 mg cholesterol, 998 mg sodium|
|Exchanges:||2 very lean meat, 2 carbohydrate (2 bread/starch)|