Marinated Grilled Chicken
Note: This recipe has you marinate the chicken for up to 24 hours. Just keep that in mind when you're planning your menu!
- 2 whole fresh chickens, 2 1/2 pounds each, cut into 6 pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, mashed
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 small onion, 4 ounces, cut in half and very thinly sliced
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/3 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- pepper, to taste
- Trim away any visible fat from the chicken; remove and discard the skin. Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Place the chicken pieces in a non-reactive baking pan, sprinkle with the garlic, and toss to coat. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and a generous sprinkling of paprika. Top with the onions.
- Drizzle the orange juice over the chicken and sprinkle on the zest. Add the parsley and toss again. Drizzle with olive oil and again toss to coat the chicken.
- Cover and refrigerate the chicken overnight or for up to 24 hours.
- Light a grill or preheat the broiler. Grill or broil the chicken for about 8 minutes per side, turning once, until juices run clear when the chicken flesh is pierced with the tip of a sharp knife.
- Serve the chicken hot off the grill or grill ahead and serve the chicken cold.
|Per serving:||119 calories (53% calories from fat), 13 g protein, 7 g total fat (1.8 g saturated fat), trace carbohydrate, 0 dietary fiber, 42 mg cholesterol, 45 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||2 lean protein (meat)|