- olive oil cooking spray
- 2 onions, 10 ounces total, thinly sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 rib of celery, 2 ounces, sliced
- 1 pound lean rump or round of beef, cubed
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 ½ cups fat free low-sodium canned beef broth
- 2 tomatoes, 10 ounces total, seeded and chopped
- 8 ounces cabbage, cored and shredded
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 ounces dry noodles
- Lightly spay a nonstick covered pot with cooking spray. Add the onions, garlic, and celery. Sauté for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Raise the heat to medium-high. Add the beef. Stir until the beef is browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle on the flour and paprika. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the beef broth. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir in the tomatoes, cabbage, and caraway seeds. Cover again, and simmer for 45 minutes, until the beef is tender. Taste for seasoning and add pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain.
- To serve, made a bed of the noodles in the center of a deep platter. Top with the goulash. Serve immediately.
|Per serving:||457 calories (12% calories from fat), 12 g protein, 6 g total fat (2.1 g saturated fat), 58 g carbohydrate, 6 g dietary fiber, 77 mg cholesterol, 86 mg sodium|
|Exchanges:||4 lean meat, 3 carbohydrate (3 bread/starch), 3 vegetable|