Family Swiss Steak
A slow cooker recipe! Prep this dinner in the morning, let it cook all day, and come home to a nutritious, delicious meal.
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 ½ pounds boneless beef round steak, cut 1 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- canola oil cooking spray
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 medium plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- ½ cup reduced-sodium canned beef broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine flour, thyme, and paprika. Using a pastry brush, brush steak pieces with Worcestershire sauce. Dredge in flour mixture.
- Lightly coat a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Place on stove over medium-high heat. Add steak pieces and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer steak pieces to a 3-quart or larger crockery slow cook. Top with garlic slices, celery, onions, and tomatoes. Pour beef broth over the top. Do not stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- To serve, transfer steak pieces and vegetables to a heated serving platter. Spoon any pan juices over the top and serve at once.
|Per serving:||191 calories (21% calories from fat), 28 g protein, 4 g total fat (1.4 g saturated fat), 8 g carbohydrates, 2 g dietary fiber, 71 mg cholesterol, 102 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||3 lean protein, 1/2 carbohydrate (1 1/2 vegetable)|