Easy Vegetarian Lasagna
Total: 1 hour 15 minutes
- cooking spray
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon fennel, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried orange rind
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 15 ounces low-fat ricotta cheese
- ½ pound zucchini, grated and squeezed of excess liquid
- 2 small carrots, grated
- ½ cup egg substitute
- ½ cup shredded skim milk mozzarella cheese, plus 1/4 cup for garnish (the garnish is optional)
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese, plus 1 teaspoon for garnish (the garnish is optional)
- 6 oven-ready lasagna noodles
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray a non-stick covered pot with cooking spray. Add the onion and garlic and cook over medium heat until the onion is transparent (about 5 minutes). Add the tomatoes, basil, fennel, orange rind, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a slow simmer, cover and cook while you ready the rest of the ingredients.
- Place the ricotta in a large bowl. Stir in the grated zucchini and carrots. Stir in the egg substitute, grated mozzarella and finally the Romano cheese. Set aside.
- Prepare an 8-inch oven-proof square pan by spreading 3 to 4 tablespoons of the tomato sauce on the bottom.
- Place 2 lasagna noodles on the bottom. Spread with 1/3 of the cheese and vegetable mixture and top with 1/3 of tomato sauce.
- Repeat this, making 3 layers and ending with tomato sauce.
- Top with reserved mozzarella and Romano.
- Cover the lasagna with aluminum foil which you tent a bit to make sure it does not touch the cheese on top. Make sure to crimp around the edges of the pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, uncovering the last 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to set for 10 minutes before cutting.
|Per serving:||260 calories (26% calories from fat), 19 g protein, 7 g total fat (4.2 g saturated fat), 29 g carbohydrate, 4 g dietary fiber, 30 mg cholesterol, 426 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||2 lean protein (meat), 2 vegetable|