- 6 skinless, boneless whole chicken breasts (about 3 pounds total) halved
- 4 cups fat-free low-sodium canned chicken broth
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 jalapeño chile pepper, left whole
- ½ teaspoon crushed dried oregano leaves
- ¼ cup purchased medium or hot taco sauce
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 24 taco shells
- 1 large head iceberg lettuce, finely shredded, about 6 cups
- 4 small firm-ripe tomatoes, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups fat-free sour cream
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, well washed and stems trimmed, leaves picked off the stems
- ½ cup shredded cheese (optional)
- Rinse chicken breasts; pat dry with paper towels. Trim away and discard any fat.
- In a large, heavy, deep skillet, bring chicken broth, garlic clove, chile pepper, and oregano leaves to a boil.
- Add chicken breasts; reduce heat to simmer; and poach, uncovered, until chicken is opaque throughout (cut to test), about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from stove and cool for 15 minutes in poaching liquid.
- Shred the breast meat.
- Combine taco sauce and lime juice. Pour over shredded chicken and toss.
- Transfer chicken to a large platter. Keep warm (in the oven covered with foil works well).
- Meanwhile, heat taco shells according to package directions. Place heated shells in a basket lined with a thick kitchen towel, covering the shells. Place condiments in individual bowls.
- Everyone makes their own tacos from the assembled ingredients.
|Per 1-taco serving:||155 calories (23% calories from fat), 16 g protein, 4 g total fat (0.7 g saturated fat), 14 g carbohydrate, 2 g dietary fiber, 23 mg cholesterol, 123 md sodium|
|Exchanges:||2 lean meat, 1 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch)|