Chicken and Rice with Yogurt Sauce
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 whole skinless and boneless chicken breasts, about 8 ounces each, halved
- 5 ounces chopped onion
- 4 ounces chopped red bell pepper
- 4 ounces chopped green bell pepper
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 ¼ cups 99% fat free, no-salt-added canned chicken broth
- 1/3 cup white wine
- ½ cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat the oil in a non- stick oven proof casserole or skillet. Dry the chicken pieces. Season with salt and pepper and brown on both sides. Remove to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the onion, peppers, garlic, and tomato; stir until the onion is soft. Add the rice, turmeric, paprika, cumin and coriander. Stir to coat.
- Add the broth and wine and return the chicken to the casserole. Bring to a simmer and then place in the oven and bake uncovered until the rice is cooked al dente and the chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, combine the yogurt, parsley, and lemon juice. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- When the chicken and rice are done, spoon the rice onto a serving platter, top with chicken breasts and drizzle yogurt sauce over the chicken. Pass the rest of the sauce.
|Per serving:||388 calories (8% calories from fat), 33 g protein, 3 g total fat (0.7 g saturated fat), 52 g carbohydrates, 4 g dietary fiber, 66 mg cholesterol, 237 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||3 very lean protein, 3 1/2 carbohydrate (2 1/2 bread/starch, 2 vegetable)|