Chicken and Rice Casserole
A heads-up for you: after putting this casserole together, you need to refrigerate it overnight.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 scallions, white part and 1 inch green, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cooked rice
- cooking spray
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless thicken breasts, rinsed and patted dry with paper towels, then cut into thin strips
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 4 ounces shredded low-fat Swiss cheese
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, scallion, celery, and garlic. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are limp (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in cooked rice. Transfer vegetable-rice mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- Using same skillet, lightly coat the skillet with cooking spray. Add chicken breast strips, and sauté until browned on all sides for about 8 minutes. Transfer chicken pieces to a shallow 3-quart casserole dish.
- Top chicken with vegetable rice mixture. Spoon tomatoes over all and top with shredded cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. (You can also freeze this to save it for later.)
- When ready to bake, bring casserole to room temperature before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake for 10 minutes more, until mixture is bubbly and top is lightly browned.
|Per serving:||279 calories (14% calories from fat), 34 g protein, 4 g total fat (1.3 g saturated fat), 24 g carbohydrates, 2 g dietary fiber, 72 mg cholesterol, 143 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||4 very lean protein, 1 1/2 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch, 2 vegetable)|