Chicken and Pesto Rolls
- 8 skinless, boneless, chicken breasts halves, about 5 ounces each
- salt (optional)
- frechly ground pepper
- 6 cups 98% fat free, no-salt-added canned chicken broth
- basil for garnish
- 2/3 cup tightly packed basil leaves
- 3 scallions, white part and 1 inch green, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, cut into quarters
- 1 teaspoon dry-roasted sunflower seeds
- salt (optional)
- freshly grated pepper
- 4 teaspoons 98% fat free, no-salt-added canned chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons dried unseasoned bread crumbs
- One at a time place the chicken halves between two pieces of waxed paper. Pound to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Cut pieces of cheese cloth into eight 8-inch squares.
- Prepare the pesto: Place the basil leaves, scallion, garlic, sunflower seeds, salt (if using), and pepper in a blender or food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse on and off until minced. Slowly add enough broth to make a smooth thin mixture. Stir in cheese and bread crumbs.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt (if using) Divide the pesto among the breasts leaving a border around each edge of each breast. Starting with the short end, roll up each breast enclosing the pesto completely. Place in cheese cloth and tie each end with kitchen twine tightly.
- Place the chicken broth in a skillet. Bring to a boil, Reduce the heat and add the chicken rolls. Simmer about 20 minutes in a single layer until firm to the touch. Remove from the stock and remove and discard the cheese cloth.
- Arrange on a platter and slice on the diagonal to serve. Garnish with extra basil.
|Per serving:||182 calories (12% calories from fat), 35 g protein, 2 g total fat (0.7 g saturated fat), 2 g carbohydrates, trace dietary fiber, 83 mg cholesterol, 160 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||4 very lean protein|