A flavorful diabetic chicken recipe, but a heads-up for you: before cooking this chicken cacciatore, you have to freeze this until firm. Consider making this the night before you want to serve it.
- 8 5-ounce bone-in chicken thighs (You can leave the skin on, but this will increase the fat in this dish.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 quart Home-Style Tomato Sauce (see recipe reference)
- 2 teaspoons crushed dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried basil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup dry white wine or water
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 4 black ripe olives, sliced
- Remove and discard chicken skin and any visible fat. Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry with paper towels. (If you choose to leave the skin on, that will increase the fat in this recipe. However, the skin will add to the flavor in this dish.)
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet. Add chicken pieces and brown on both sides (about 7 to 8 minutes).
- Transfer chicken pieces to two 8-inch foil pans (or 8-inch casserole dishes), 4 chicken pieces per pan. Set aside.
- Add onion, garlic, bell pepper, and mushrooms to the skillet and sauté over low heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is limp and liquid has been absorbed (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in tomato sauce, oregano, basil, salt, wine, and parsley. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce flavors blend (about 15 minutes).
- Remove from stove and cool for about 15 minutes.
- Spoon sauce equally over the reserved chicken pieces and top each with half of the olive slices. Cover and seal with aluminum foil. Label and date. Freeze until firm.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375°F. Bake the dish, covered, until sauce is bubbling and chicken is no longer pink at the bone (about 40 minutes).
|Per serving:||184 calories (26% calories from fat), 19 g protein, 5 g total fat (1.1 g saturated fat), 13 g carbohydrates, 3 g dietary fiber, 67 mg cholesterol, 216 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||2 1/2 lean protein, 1 carbohydrate (3 vegetable)|