Caribbean Chicken Stir-Fry with Fresh Mint
- 4 5-ounce boneless and skinless chicken breast halves, trimmed of all visible fat
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- grated zest of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 scallions, trimmed leaving 2 inches green, cut into thin lengthwise strips
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored and seeded, then cut into thin julienne strips
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon grated orange zest
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons Caribbean-style chile sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1.67-ounce package fresh mint, leaves picked
- Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry with paper towels. Cut crosswise into 1/2-inch wide strips. In a large bowl, combine ground coriander, ground ginger, paprika, pepper, cayenne pepper, and grated lime zest. Add chicken strips and toss to evenly coat. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- In a wok or heavy nonstick skillet, heat 1/2 tablespoon of the oil. When hot add onion, garlic, scallions, bell pepper, and minced ginger. Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer vegetables to a small bowl.
- Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil to the wok and place over medium-high heat. Add seasoned chicken breast strips and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together wok sauce ingredients. Return vegetables to the wok and stir in the sauce. Continue stir-frying for another minute or two until all ingredients are hot and sauce has thickened. Shred the mint leaves and stir into wok. Serve at once.
|Per serving:||249 calories (22% calories from fat), 34 g protein, 6 g total fat (1.0 g saturated fat), 14 g carbohydrates, 2 g dietary fiber, 82 mg cholesterol, 103 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||4 lean protein, 1 carbohydrate (2 vegetable)|