Basic Tomato Pizza
- 1 10-ounce tube refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon crushed dried basil
- 2 plum tomatoes, 6 ounces total, thinly sliced
- ½ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Open the dough package and on a lightly floured surface, roll out to roughly form a 10-inch circle. Place the crust on a cookie sheet which has been lightly sprinkled with cornmeal. Finish shaping by pulling and stretching the dough.
- Transfer the crust to the prepared grill (see above) and grill for about 3 minutes, until the top of the dough puffs and the underside is crisp and lightly browned. Using a large metal spatula, turn the crust over. Brush the cooked top with olive oil and sprinkle with oregano and basil.
- Arrange tomatoes over the crust and top with the shredded cheese. Continue to grill for another 4 to 5 minutes, until the pizza is cooked through, the dough lightly browned, and the cheese melted. To insure even cooking, use tongs to rotate the pizza two or three times during the cooking period, taking care not to knock off the topping.
|Per serving:||112 calories (24% calories from fat), 5 g protein, 3 g total fat (1.1 g saturated fat), 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g dietary fiber, 4 mg cholesterol, 236 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||1/2 lean protein (meat), 1 carbohydrate (bread/starch)|