Asian Soup with Shredded Chicken and Rice
- 4 dried black mushrooms, rinsed
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 small Serrano or Thai chile pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 6 cups low-sodium canned chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 6-ounce chicken breast halves, poached and shredded
- 4 onces snow peas, trimmed
- 1 small carrot, 2 ounces, thinly sliced
- 2 fresh waterchestnuts, peeled and thinly sliced (may used canned)
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup hot cooked rice
- salt (to taste)
- freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- In a soup pot, combine mushrooms, garlic, chile pepper, ginger, chicken broth, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove black mushrooms and slice. Return to the pot.
- Bring mixture back to a boil. Add remaining ingredients, except scallions and rice.
- Lower heat and simmer, partially covered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in scallions and ladle soup into wide soup bowls.
- Place 1/4 cup of the hot rice in the center of each bowl. Serve at once.
|Per serving:||202 calories (7% calories from fat), 26 g protein, 1 g total fat (0.4 g saturated fat), 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g dietary fiber, 49 mg cholesterol, 216 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||2 lean protein, 1 1/2 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch, 1 vegetable)|