Apple and Thyme Chicken
- 2 whole boneless and skinless chicken breasts, about 1/2 pound each, halved and all traces of fat removed
- cooking spray
- salt (optional) and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 medium Granny Smith or other tart green apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- fresh thyme sprigs for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry with paper towels.
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt (if using) and pepper. Place in a single layer in the prepared baking dish.
- Arrange apple slices over and around chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle with shallot and thyme leaves; pour on the balsamic vinegar.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until chicken is opaque throughout (cut to test).
- Arrange cooked breasts on a platter and spoon apples and cooking juices on top. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired. Serve at once.
|Per Serving:||163 calories (9% calories from fat), 27 g protein, 2 g total fat (0.4 g saturated fat), 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g dietary fiber, 66 mg cholesterol, 78 mg sodium|
|Exchanges:||3 very lean meat, 1 carbohydrate (1 fruit)|