To intensify the flavors of this chili, you can refrigerate it overnight. Keep that in mind when doing your meal planning!
- 1 ½ pounds ground sirloin
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 4 large cloves; garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons good-quality chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon crushed dried basil
- ½ teaspoon crushed dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- salt (optional)
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 14 1/2--ounce cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes with their juice
- 1 8-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 12 ounces dried thin spaghetti
- 1 cup chopped onion (for serving)
- ½ cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese (for serving)
- 1 cup drained dark red kidney beans (for serving)
- In a large non-stick pot, brown ground sirloin, onion, celery, and garlic over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until beef is browned and vegetables are limp, about 10 minutes. Drain off and discard all fat.
- Stir in chili powder, paprika, basil, oregano, thyme, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, ground cumin, red pepper flakes, and allspice. Season with salt (if using) and pepper to taste.
- Stir in tomatoes and tomato sauce. Add 1/2 cup water, adding additional water as needed to reach desired consistency. Partially cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Cool and then refrigerate overnight (this will intensify the flavor, but you don't have to do it).
- When ready to serve, reheat on the stove for at least 15 minutes while you cook the spaghetti, following package directions, to al dente. Drain the spaghetti and keep warm.
- Place the chopped onion, shredded cheese, and kidney beans in small serving bowls.
- To serve, divide the hot spaghetti between shallow soup bowls. Ladle hot chili over each serving and pass the condiments separately to spoon onto each serving.
|Per serving:||401 calories (22% calories from fat), 29 g protein, 10 g total fat (3.6 g saturated fat), 50 g carbohydrates, 6 g dietary fiber, 32 mg cholesterol, 376 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||2 1/2 lean protein, 3 1/2 carbohydrate (2 1/2 bread/starch), 3 vegetable)|