(makes about 30 cookies)
|2 1/2||tablespoons (37.5 ml) fructose|
|1/2||cup (118 ml) egg substitute or 1 large egg plus 2 egg whites|
|4||tablespoons (60 g) softened margarine|
|juice and grated zest of 1 lemon|
|1/8||teaspoon (.6ml) almond extract|
|1 1/2||cups 210 g) sifted unbleached flour|
|2 3/4||teaspoons (13.75 ml) baking powder|
|2||tablespoons (30 g) toasted almond slices|
|2||tablespoons(30 g) raisins, plumped in 2 tablespoons (30 ml) rum, dry sherry, or orange juice|
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C), Gas Mark 4.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the fructose and egg. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the margarine, lemon juice, zest, almond extract, flour, and baking powder. Mix well. Fold in the almonds and raisins which you have drained well.
- Form the dough into a long, flattened log on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 40 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Remove from cooking sheet and slice with a very sharp knife into 1/2 inch (1.5 cm) slices. Place back on the cookie sheet and broil for a minute on each side being careful not to let them burn. Or, bake then for 10 minutes on each side. Cool on a wire rack and store in an air tight container.
|Per 2 biscotti:||92 calories (35% calories from fat), 2 g protein, 4 g total fat (0.6 g saturated fat), 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 139 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||1 carbohydrate (bread/starch), 1/2 fat|