Dilled Mushroom Blintzes with Sour Cream
|3||cups (708 ml) skim milk|
|1/2||teaspoon ( 2.5ml) salt (optional)|
|2||cups (250 g) unbleached flour|
|butter-flavored cooking spray|
|refrigerated butter flavored cooking spray|
|2||teaspoons (10 ml) canola oil|
|2||cups, about 10 ounces (315 g), finely chopped onions|
|1 1/2||pounds (750 g) mixed fresh mushrooms, chopped coarsely|
|2||teaspoon minced garlic|
|5||tablespoons (15 g) chopped fresh dill|
|3-4||tablespoons (45-60 g) unbleached flour|
|freshly ground pepper, to taste|
|1/4||cup( 60 ml) Madeira or sherry|
|1/2 to 2/3||cup (120-160 ml) 98% fat free, no-salt-added canned chicken broth|
|fat-free sour cream|
|extra dill, garlic powder, chives, or horseradish for garnish|
- To make the crepes batter: Place the milk, eggs, and salt (if using) in a blender or food processor fitted with the metal blade. Add the flour, and process for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides and process for another 10 seconds. Allow the batter to sit for 30 minutes.
- Lightly coat a 6 or 7 inch non-stick crepe pan or non-stick skillet with cooking spray and place over high heat. When hot, add about 2 tablespoons (will depend on size of pan) batter and tilt so batter covers the bottom of the pan. Allow the crepe to cook until set. Loosen with a spatula and turn onto a towel. Repeat using all of the batter, stacking the cooked crepes. These can be made ahead of time and frozen with waxed paper in between each crepe.
- For the filling: Coat a non-stick skillet with cooking spray and add 1 teaspoon of the oil. Cook the onions until tender, about 10 minutes over moderate heat. Set onions aside.
- Re-coat the skillet with cooking spray and add the remaining oil. Cook the mushrooms over high heat, so they do not give off too much liquid, for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Mix in the dill and flour and cook for 3 minutes. Season with pepper. Stir in Madeira and chicken broth. Blend until smooth and thick.
- To assemble the blintzes, place 2 tablespoons of filling in the center of a crepe on the cooked side. Tuck in the sides and fold the top over the bottom edge to make a neat rectangular envelope. Repeat until all blintzes are made.
- When ready to serve, coat a non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Sauté a skillet-full of the blintzes until browned on each side. Keep warm covered with foil while you continue to sauté the remainder of the blintzes.
- Serve with fat-free sour cream to which you can add chopped dill, garlic powder, chives, or horseradish, or leave plain depending on your whim.
|Per 2-blintz serving:||58 calories (16% calories from fat), 3 g protein, 1 g total fat (90.2 g saturated fat), 9 g carbohydrates, 0 dietary fiber, 24 mg cholesterol, 19 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||1/2 carbohydrate (bread/starch)|