Fresh Peach Cake
- butter flavored cooking spray
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- ¾ cup sugar substitute such as Splenda or One Spoon
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg, separated
- ¼ cup egg substitute
- ¼ cup water
- ¾ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- grated zest of 1/2 orange
- ½ cup egg whites, at room temperature (whites of 4 large eggs)
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 ½ cups no sugar, fat free whipped topping
- 1 pound fresh peaches, peeled and sliced thin, then covered with water and 1 tablespoons (15 ml) lemon juice until ready to use
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Lightly coat a 9-inch cake pan with cooking spray.
- Place the flour, sugar substitute, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Mix. Make a well in the middle.
- Beat together oil, egg yolk, egg substitute, water, vanilla, and orange zest. Pour into flour mixture and blend well.
- In a large bowl, combine the 1 egg white with the additional 1/2 cup. Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until the whites have stiff peaks. Gently fold into the flour mixture
- Place in the prepared cake pan and bake 35-40 minutes until golden brown. Turn out onto rack to cool completely
- Using a serrated knife, slice the cake in half horizontally. Cover with 3/4 of the whipped topping. Place the peaches, leaving a few slices for decoration, on top and cover with top of cake. Decorate the center of the cake with rosettes of whipped topping and decorate with remaining peach slices. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
|Per serving:||129 calories (28% calories from fat), 4 g protein, 5 g total fat (0.5 g saturated fat), 23 g carbohydrates, 1 g dietary fiber, 21 mg cholesterol, 176 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||1 1/2 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch, 1/2 fruit), 1 fat|