Creamy Cheesecake with Fresh Raspberries
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 large egg white
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¾ cup 2 tablespoons spoon-for-spoon sugar substitute (such as Splenda)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups low-fat cream cheese
- 1 ½ teaspoons teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons tablespoons sugar-free red raspberry preserves
- 1 cup fresh raspberries, rinsed and drained dry
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs and margarine. Pat evenly over the bottom and about 1/2 inch up the sides of a 9 1/2-inch springform pan. Bake in oven for 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using an electric mixer on high speed, beat the 4 egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl until foamy. Gradually add 6 tablespoons of the sugar substitute, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until egg whites form stiff peaks.
- In another large bowl, stir the remaining sugar substitute with the cornstarch, then add the egg yolks, cream cheese, lemon zest, and vanilla. Beat (using the unwashed beaters) until well blended.
- Fold beaten egg whites into cheese mixture. Spoon the mixture into the partially-baked crust.
- Bake in the oven until center barely jiggles when cheesecake is gently shaken, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- While the cheesecake is cooking, melt the raspberry preserves in a small pan over medium heat, stirring often.
- Cool, stirring occasionally, until the preserves form a thick syrup (that should take about 5 minutes).
- Remove the outside of the springform pan.
- Mound fresh raspberries on the cheesecake and drizzle with preserve syrup. Chill.
- When ready to serve, cut the cheesecake into wedges.
|Per serving:||172 calories (18% calories from fat), 8 g protein, 4 g total fat (0.9 g saturated fat), 29 g carbohydrates, f1 g dietary fiber, 56 mg cholesterol, 254 mg potassium, 161 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||2 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch, 1 skim milk), 1 fat|