Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- vegetable cooking spray
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup Sugar Twin ® Spoonable
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons reduced-fat margarine, melted
- ½ cup liquid egg substitute
- ½ cup light sour cream
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 large egg whites, beaten until soft peaks form
- ¾ pound zucchini, unpeeled, trimmed, and shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat two 8X8-inch metal baking pans with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, SugarTwin, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, cream of tartar, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat together the melted margarine, egg substitute, sour cream, milk, and vanilla. Gradually stir in the sifted dry ingredients. Mix until smooth. Stir in zucchini and gently fold in beaten egg whites.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Completely cool in pan on a wire rack. Wrap and freeze one cake; refrigerate second cake for up to 3 days.
|Per serving:||171 calories (34% calories from fat), 6 g protein, 7 g total fat (1.9 g saturated fat), 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g dietary fiber, 4 mg cholesterol, 469 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||1 1/2 carbohydrate (1 1/2 bread-starch), 1 fat|