Total: 1 hour 5 minutes
- cooking spray
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- ½ cup plain non-fat yogurt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspooons vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 4 ounces unsweetened crushed pineapple with juice
- ¼ cup dark raisins
- ¼ cup sugar substitute
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Position the top rack in the center of the oven. Lightly coat a 9-inch cake pan with cooking spray. Dust with flour and tap out excess.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg whites, yogurt, oil, applesauce, brown sugar, pineapple with juice, and vanilla.
- Into a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt (if using), cinnamon, and nutmeg. Gradually add to egg-applesauce mixture, stirring until incorporated.
- Stir in the carrots and raisins into the cake batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Slide a thin knife around the edges and center of the cake to loosen it from the pan. Invert onto a rack to cool.
- When ready to serve, transfer cake to a serving platter.
|Per serving (cake only):||103 calories (20% calories from fat), 3 g protein, 2 g total fat (0.2 g saturated fat), 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g dietary fiber, 123 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||1 1/2 carbohydrate (1 1/2 bread/starch)|