- cooking spray
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots, soaked in 2 tablespoons brandy for 5 minutes
- 1 large baking apple, cored, peeled, and diced small
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup egg substitute
- 2 ¼ cup 1% low-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Trim and discard the crusts off each bread slice. Thinly butter each slice and cut into quarters. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the soaked apricots, apple, and raisins. Place half of the fruit mixture into the prepared dish. Mix the sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle 1/3 of the mixture over the fruit.
- Top with half of the bread quarters, the remaining fruit mixture and another 1/3 of the sugar mixture. Arrange the remaining bread quarters on top, buttered side up.
- Whisk the egg substitute and milk together, and pour over the bread. Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 of the sugar mixture.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the dish for at least 10 minutes before spooning into dessert bowls. Optional: Slice some bananas onto the pudding before serving.
|Per serving:||170 calories (0% calories from fat), 7 g protein, 4 g total fat (2.0 g saturated fat), 27 g carbohydrates, 3 g dietary fiber, 9 mg cholesterol, 338 mg potassium, 194 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||1/2 very lean protein, 2 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch, 1 fruit), 1/2 fat|