- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 4 medium-size, 6 ounces each, baking apples
- ground cinnamon to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a small pot, simmer the apple juice, wine, and water with the orange zest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, core the apples and remove peel from the top 1/3 of each apple. Using a small spoon, remove and discard the core and seed.
- Place in a small baking dish just big enough for the apples. Pour apple juice mixture around the apples and sprinkle each apple with cinnamon. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the apples are cooked through but still hold their shape.
- Place each apple in a small dessert dish. Top with 1 tablespoon of the cooking liquid and 1/4 of the walnuts. Serve warm.
|Per serving:||118 calories (9% calories from fat), 1 g protein, 1 g total fat (0.1 g saturated fat), 27 g carbohydrates, 5 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||2 carbohydrate (fruit)|