Creamy Risotto with Fresh Asparagus
(makes 8 servings)
|1||tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil|
|1||cup (160 g) chopped white onion|
|6||cups (1,440 ml) fat-free low-sodium beef stock|
|2||cups (384 g) Italian Arborio or Carnaroli rice|
|1||cup (240 ml) dry white wine or additional stock|
|2||teaspoons (10 ml) fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) crushed dried|
|grated zest of 1/2 lemon|
|1||cup (134 g) fresh asparagus tips|
|sprigs of fresh thyme for garnish (optional)|
- In a large nonstick pot, heat the oil and add the onion. Saute over medium heat until onion is limp, about 4 minutes.
- In a separate pot, heat the stock to a simmer; keep hot.
- Add the rice to the onion. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the wine and cook, stirring, until the liquid is absorbed.
- Add 1 cup (240 ml) of the stock to the rice, stirring, until all of the liquid has been absorbed. Continue adding stock, 1/2 cup (120 ml) at a time, constantly stirring after each addition until liquid is absorbed. Continue until all stock is used and the risotto is creamy and just tender to the bite. Stir in the thyme and lemon zest.
- Blanch the asparagus tips for 1 minute in boiling water. Drain. Gently stir into the risotto.
- Place a lettuce cup on each of 8 serving plates. Fill with 1 cup (210 g) of the risotto. Garnish with a sprig of thyme, if desired.
|Per serving:||223 calories (8% calories from fat), 6 g protein, 2 g total fat (0.3 g saturated fat), 43 g carbohydrate, 2 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 33 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||3 carbohydrate (3 bread/starch)|