error: menucat=chicken error: memuoccasion= error: mealtime=supper
(makes 6 servings)
|6||boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, about 2 pounds (960 g) total|
|3 to 4||fresh jalapeño chile peppers, seeded and thinly sliced|
|1||tablespoon (15 g) minced garlic|
|1||teaspoon (5 ml) crushed dried oregano|
|1/4||teaspoon (1.25 ml) chili pepper|
|1/4||teaspoon (1.25 ml) ground cumin|
|salt (optional) and freshly ground pepper to taste|
|1 1/2||cups (240 g) chopped yellow onion|
|4||tomatillos, husked and chopped|
|1||medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped|
|1||14 1/2-ounce (435 g) can whole tomatoes, with juice, chopped|
|1/4||cup (60 ml) dry red wine or water|
|2||tablespoons (28 g) tomato paste|
|6||pitted black olives, thinly sliced|
|1/4||cup (16 g) chopped fresh cilantro|
- Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry. Place each breast between 2 sheets of waxed paper or plastic wrap. Lightly pound with the flat side of a meat mallet to flatten evenly to about 1/2-inch (1.25 cm) thickness.
- Place 2 jalapeño slices (3 or 4 if you like hotter food) and 1/2 teaspoon ( g) of the garlic in the center of each breast. Fold in the sides, enclosing the pepper and garlic. Secure with a toothpick.
- In a small bowl, combine oregano, chili pepper, cumin, salt (if using), and pepper. Roll each breast in the mixture and set aside.
- Place onion, tomatillos, and bell pepper in the bottom of a 3 1/2 quart (3.5 l) or larger crockery slow cooker. Top with chicken breasts. Combine tomatoes and their juice, wine, and tomato paste. Pour over chicken. Do not stir.
- Cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- To serve, arrange chicken breasts on a heated serving latter. Stir olives into pan juices and spoon over chicken. Garnish with cilantro.
|Per serving:||224 calories (12% calories from fat), 37 g protein, 3 g total fat (0.6 g saturated fat), 12 g carbohydrates, 3 g dietary fiber, 88 mg cholesterol, 781 mg potassium, 285 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||5 very lean protein, 1 carbohydrate (2 1/2 vegetable)|