Spicy-Rubbed Chicken over Vegetable Hash
(makes 6 servings)
|4||5-ounce (150 g) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves|
|1/4||cup (60 ml) fresh orange juice|
|1||tablespoon olive oil|
|2||tablespoons finely minced yellow onion|
|1||clove garlic, minced|
|2||teaspoons chili powder|
|1/4||teaspoon cayenne pepper|
|1/4||teaspoon crushed dried oregano|
|freshly ground pepper to taste|
|2||cups (489 ml) fat-free, low-sodium canned chicken broth|
|4||small red potatoes, about 1/2 pound (240 g) total, scrubbed and quartered|
|1||medium sweet red onion, cut into 8 wedges|
|2||teaspoons olive oil|
|1/2||pound (240 g) sugar snap peas|
|1||cup (142 g) baby peeled carrots|
|freshly ground pepper|
|1/4||cup (16 g) chopped flat-leaf parsley (optional)|
|1||small navel orange, cut into 6 wedges|
- Rinse chicken breast; trim and discard all visible fat. Pat dry with paper towels.
- In a shallow glass dish, combine orange juice, oil, onion, and garlic. Add chicken breast halves and turn to coat evenly. In a shallow dish, combine chili powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, oregano, and pepper to taste. Rub the mixture onto one side of the chicken breast halves. Cover and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Light a grill or preheat the broiler.
- To prepare vegetable hash: Heat the broth in a pot over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes and onions. Cook until potatoes and onions are tender, about 15 minutes. Increase heat and boil off any remaining broth. Drizzle the potatoes with olive oil and set aside. Keep warm.
- In a second pot, steam the sugar snap peas and carrots for 2 minutes, until crisp-tender.
- Gently combine the potatoes, onion, peas, and carrots. Season with salt (if using) and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley (if using) and keep warm.
- Place chicken breasts on grill until grill marks solidly form. Turn the chicken breast halves 90° and grill until a second set of marks form. Turn chicken over and grill until done, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a carving board and slice each half into crosswise strips, about 1/2-inch (1.25 cm) wide.
- Mound hot vegetable hash in the center of 4 large plates. Top each portion with strips of grilled chicken strips. Place a wedge of orange on each plate to squeeze over the chicken and vegetables before eating.
|Per serving:||315 calories (22% calories from fat), 37 g protein, 8 g total fat (1.3 g saturated fat), 25 g carbohydrates, 5 g dietary fiber, 82 mg cholesterol, 965 mg potassium, 122 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||4 lean protein, 1 1/2 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch, 2 vegetable)|