Parvine's Baked Fruited Chicken
(makes 8 servings)
|4||chicken breast halves with bones, 5 ounces (150 g) each, skin removed|
|4||chicken thighs with bones, 5 ounces (150 g) each, skin removed|
|16||dried apricot halves|
|8||dried pitted prunes|
|1/2||pound (240 g) button mushrooms, sliced|
|2||medium onions, 6 ounces (180 g) each, thinly sliced|
|1||medium navel orange, 6 ounces (180 g)|
|1 1/2||tablespoons (22.5 ml) fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 tablespoon (7.5 ml) crushed dried|
|salt (optional) and freshly ground pepper|
|1||tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil|
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190 C°, Gas Mark 5).
- Trim all visible fat from chicken pieces. Wash chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Arrange in the bottom of a large baking dish.
- Scatter apricots, prunes, and mushrooms around the chicken. Cover with onion slices.
- Thinly slice the orange and lemons (do not peel). Remove any seeds. Arrange fruit slices on top of onions. Scatter thyme over all. Season with salt (if using) and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and cover with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes; remove foil and bake for 10 minutes more or until chicken is done and juices next to the bone run clear (cut one to test).
- To serve, arrange chicken and fruit on a heated serving platter. Arrange vegetables over and around. Serve at once.
|Per serving:||213 calories (26% calories from fat), 22 g protein, 6 g total fat (1.2 g saturated fat), 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g dietary fiber, 60 mg cholesterol, 64 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||3 lean meat, 1 carbohydrate (1 fruit), 1 vegetable|