Maque Choux with Spicy Chicken
(makes 4 servings)
|olive oil cooking spray|
|1||medium onion, 4 ounces (120 g), chopped|
|1||medium red bell pepper, 6 ounces (180 g), seeded and chopped|
|2||large garlic cloves, minced|
|4||large sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), soaked in warm water to cover for 10 minutes and drained|
|pinch cayenne pepper|
|salt (optional) and freshly ground black pepper to taste|
|2||cups (240 g) fresh or frozen corn kernels|
|1||cup (240 ml) fat-free low-sodium canned chicken broth|
|1/2||teaspoon (1.25 ml) crushed dried thyme|
|1||pound (480 g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of all fat|
|1||teaspoon (5 ml) paprika|
|1||teaspoon (5 ml) garlic powder|
|1/4||teaspoon (1.25 ml) freshly ground black pepper|
|1/4||teaspoon (1.25 ml) onion powder|
|1/4||teaspoon (1.25 ml) crushed dried thyme|
|1/4||teaspoon (1.25 ml) crushed dried oregano|
|1/8||teaspoon (0.6 ml) cayenne pepper|
|2||tablespoons (30 ml) fresh lime juice|
|chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)|
- Lightly spray a large saucepan with cooking spray. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Saute over low heat, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Chop the sun-dried tomatoes and add to pot along with the cayenne pepper, salt (if using), and black pepper. Continue to cook for another 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the chicken broth, bay leaf, whole clove, thyme, and peppercorns. Cover and simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf, whole clove, and peppercorns.
- Meanwhile, cut chicken breasts crosswise into 2-inch (5-cm) strips. In a small bowl, combine paprika and remaining ingredients except lime juice and parsley. Toss with chicken strips.
- Place chicken pieces in a microwave-safe covered dish. Sprinkle with lime juice. Cover and microwave on HIGH for 4 minutes. Stir and continue to microwave on HIGH for another 1 to 2 minutes, until chicken is opaque throughout (cut to test).
- To serve, pile the Maque Choux in the center of a large platter. Surround with the chicken pieces, sprinkle with chopped parsley, and serve.
|Per serving:||244 calories (10% calories from fat), 31 g protein, 3 g total fat (0.6 g saturated), 26 g carbohydrate, 5 g dietary fiber, 5 g dietary fiber, 66 mg cholesterol, 100 mg sodium|
|Exchanges:||3 very lean meat, 1 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch), 2 vegetable|
|Per serving (Maque Choux only):||112 calories (9% calories from fat), 5 g protein, 1 g total fat (0.2 g saturated fat), 24 g carbohydrate, 4 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 25 mg sodium|
|Exchanges:||1 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch), 2 vegetable|