Date Nut Coffee Cake
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 4 packets Sweet 'n Low
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1/3 cup 1% fat milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pitted dates
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar, packed to measure
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with no-nstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, 3 packets of the Sweet 'n Low, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Melt 1/3 cup of the margarine in the microwave
- In a 1-cup measure, combine the melted margarine, milk, egg, and vanilla. Stir to mix well.
- Add to the dry ingredients, stirring until blended.
- Add the dates and walnuts, stirring to mix throughout.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together all the topping ingredients (1/4 cup flour, 1 tablespoon light brown sugar, packed to measure, 1 tablespoon softened margarine, 1 packet Sweet 'n Low, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon) until crumbly.
- Sprinkle topping over the batter.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack, and cut into 2-inch squares when completely cool.
|Per serving:||110 calories, 2 g protein, 2 g fat (<1 g saturated fat), 22 g carbohydrate, 15 mg cholesterol, 75 mg sodium|
|Exchanges:||1 1/2 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch, 1/2 fruit)|