Sweet Potato Biscuits
- cooking spray
- 2 ½ cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons spoonable brown sugar substitute
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons cultured non-fat buttermilk
- ¾ cup mashed cooked sweet potato
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly spray a non-stick baking sheet with cooking spray (or line with parchment paper).
- In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, and sugar.
- In a large measuring cup, combine oil, buttermilk, and mashed sweet potato.
- Add to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. (The dough will be quite dry).
- Transfer dough to a floured work surface. Knead a few times and pat to 1 inch thickness rectangle about 8" x 5".
- Dip a sharp knife in flour, then cut the dough into thirds lengthwise. Then cut each long strip into 6 equal pieces, making 18 squares in all.
- Transfer biscuits to prepared baking sheet.
- Bake about 12 to 13 minutes, until tops are golden and firm to the touch. Serve warm.
|Per biscuit:||104 calories (29% calories from fat), 2 g protein, 3 g total fat (0.4 g saturated), 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g dietary fiber, trace cholesterol, 204 mg sodium|
|Exchanges:||1 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch), 1/2 fat|