Rustic Peasant Bread with Dill
(makes 2 loaves, 22 half-slices each)
Total: 2 hours
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 ½ cups water heated to about 110°F
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 6 cups bread flour
- fresh dill, coarsely chopped
- In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast and 2 teaspoons of the sugar over the warm water; stir until yeast dissolves completely. Let stand until foamy (about 5 minutes).
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Sauté for 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir the remaining 4 teaspoons sugar into the yeast mixture, along with the eggs, salt, and the onion and garlic sauteed mixture.
- Stir in the whole wheat flour and 3 cups of the bread flour. Beat until well blended.
- Add another 2 cups bread flour, 1/4 cup at a time, beating after each addition.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead by hand until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes), adding up to 1 cup additional bread flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, as needed to keep the dough from sticking.
- Gradually knead in the fresh dill.
- Form dough into a ball and place in a bowl which has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray, turning dough over once to coat the top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, until doubled in bulk.
- Punch the dough down and knead briefly on a lightly floured work surface.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions and shape each portion into a tight 7-inch round loaf.
- Lightly spray 2 large baking sheets with cooking spray (or line with parchment paper).
- Place formed loaves on the prepared baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until puffy, about 30 minutes.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using a sharp knife or razor blade, make 1/4-inch (0.6 cm) deep slashes on top of each loaf in an X. Lightly dust top of each loaf with all-purpose flour.
- Bake, uncovered, until well browned and loaves sound hollow when tapped on the bottom, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Transfer loaves to a rack to cool. Serve warm, first cutting loaf in half, then slicing
|Per 1 half-slice:||81 calories (11% calories from fat), 3 g protein, 1 g fat (0.2 g saturated fat), 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g dietary fiber, 9 mg cholesterol, 56 mg sodium|
|Exchanges:||1 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch)|