Quick Lemon Bread
- 1 cup Granulated SugarLike
- ½ cup ButterLike Baking Butter, softened (or margarine)
- ½ cup large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/3 cup Granulated SugarLike (for the drizzle)
- 4 ½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice (for the drizzle)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a bread pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix SugarLike, ButterLike (or margarine), and egg whites until smooth
- Add remaining muffin ingredients and mix until flour is incorporated into batter.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Leaving loaf in pan, use a long slender skewer to poke numerous holes all the way to bottom of loaf. (This is so that the drizzle you pour over can soak through the whole loaf.)
- To make the drizzle, combine SugarLike and lemon juice in a small pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until SugarLike is dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Slowly drizzle over top of loaf so that glaze soaks into bread.
- Let bread cool in pan on rack for 15 minutes, then turn out onto rack to cool completely. (A good idea: put aluminum foil or parchment paper under the rack to limit the mess/clean-up, should the drizzle drizzle out of the loaf too much while the bread is cooling.)
|Per serving:||157 calories (10% calories from fat), 4 g protein, 1 g total fat (0 saturated fat), 47 g carbohydrate, 7 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 230 mg sodium|
|Mrs. Bateman's exchanges:||1.3 bread/starch, 0.2 meat, 0.2 fat|