- cooking spray
- 1 ½ cups stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tablespoons baking powder
- ½ teaspooon chili powder
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 ¾ cups + 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1 11-ounce can no-salt-added, no-sugar-added corn kernels, drained
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat a 13 x 9 metal baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and chili powder.
- Add the bell pepper and chile pepper. Toss to combine.
- In a medium bowl, beat together milk, oil, and egg whites. Stir into dry ingredients. Then fold in corn. Do not overmix.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan and smooth the top with the back of a spoon.
- Bake until golden, about 30 minutes, until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a rack.
|Per serving:||115 calories (19% calories from fat), 3 g protein, 3 g total fat (0.2 g saturated fat), 20 g carbohydrates, 2 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 29 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||1 1/2 carbohydrate (bread/starch)|