Marinated Fillet of Beef
(makes 12 servings)
|1/2||whole fillet of beef, about 3 1/2 pounds (1.75 kg)|
|3||tablespoons (45 ml) paprika|
|1||tablespoon (15 ml) ground cumin|
|1||tablespoon (15 ml) ground coriander|
|2||tablespoons (30 ml) ground black pepper|
|1||teaspoon (5 ml) ground nutmeg|
|1||teaspoon (5 ml) Kosher salt|
|French Dijon mustard|
|German hot-sweet mustard|
- Have the butcher trim the fillet and remove all visible fat.
- Mix together the paprika, cumin, coriander, black pepper and nutmeg. Spread this dry marinade evenly all over the fillet. Cover with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least two days and up to 4 days.
- On the day before cooking, open the foil and plastic wrap and sprinkle with the salt. Reseal and place in refrigerator.
- When ready to cook remove from the refrigerator and allow to sit for 1 hour. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C), Gas Mark 6.
- Sear the meat on a griddle or skillet on all sides until browned. Remove to a roasting pan and bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until it is done to your liking, 15 to 20 minutes will give you rare meat, 23 to 28 minutes for medium. Remember, that fillet will continue to cook after you remove it from the oven. Place the meat on a cutting board and cover with foil. Allow it to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Slice into very thin slices and place decoratively on your serving platter surrounded by the rice salad.
- Serve with small bowls of French and German mustards.
|Per serving:||218 calories (43% calories from fat), 28 g protein, 10 g total fat (4.5 g saturated fat), 2 g carbohydrate, 1 g dietary fiber, 82 mg cholesterol, 224 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||4 lean protein|