Apricots Stuffed with Yogurt Cheese
(makes 4 servings)
|24||dried Turkish apricot halves, about 6 ounces (180 g)|
|4||teaspoons (16 g) granulated sugar|
|1||tablespoon (15 ml) cognac or brandy (optional)|
|1/2||cup (120 g) yogurt cheese (see recipe below)|
|2||tablespoons (30 ml) finely chopped pistachios|
- Place the apricots in a pot with water to cover by 1 inch (2.5 cm). Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, until the apricots plump, about 10 to 15 minutes. Drain the apricots, reserving 1/3 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Return this liquid to the pot along with 2 teaspoons (10 ml) of the sugar. Cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves, then add the cognac (if using). Return the apricots to the pot and continue to simmer for another 15 minutes, until the apricots are very soft.
- Remove the apricots from the pot and set aside to cool. Reserve the cooking liquid.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt cheese and the remaining 2 teaspoons (10 ml) sugar.
- When the apricots are cool, open them up and spoon in a scant tablespoon of the yogurt mixture; top with another apricot, pressing the apricot down so yogurt cheese oozes out some (sort of like an ice cream sandwich). Repeat, filling all of the apricots.
- To serve, place 3 filled apricots in each of 4 dessert bowls. Drizzle with the reserved cooking liquid and sprinkle with the chopped pistachios. Serve at once.
|Per serving:||175 calories (11% calories from fat), 6 g protein, 2 g total fat (0.3 g saturated fat), 36 g carbohydrate, 4 g dietary fiber, 1 mg cholesterol, 51 mg sodium|
|Exchanges:||2 1/2 carbohydrate (2 fruit, 1/2 skim milk)|