Total: 40 minutes
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dehydrated vegetable flakes
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold reduced-fat margarine
- ¼ cup skim milk
- dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, Parmesan cheese, dehydrated vegetable flakes, baking powder, and salt (if using).
- Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut margarine into flour mixture until it resembles fine crumbs.
- Make a well in the center and stir in the milk to form a stiff dough.
- Gather the dough into a ball and chill, wrapped in plastic wrap, for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F while the dough is chilling.
- When you're ready to bake, roll out dough on a lightly floured work surface to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Cut out with small cookie cutters into desired shape. (You can make animal crackers like we did, if you want. Or you can just make round Parmesan crackers.)
- Transfer cut out crackers to a non-stick cookie sheet (you can use parchment paper, if you want).
- Prick surface of crackers with a fork.
- Bake 4 to 5 minutes, until crackers are lightly browned on the bottom. Using a wide spatula, turn cracker over and bake for another 3 to 5 minutes, until browned on the bottom.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container.
|Per 7-cracker serving:||122 calories (40% calories from fat), 6 g total fat (1.4 g saturated fat), 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g dietary fiber, 3 mg cholesterol, 182 g sodium|
|Exchanges:||1 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch), 1 fat|