Easy Cheese Straws
- cooking spray
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 12" x 17" sheets phyllo dough, at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 400°F; spray a large non-stick baking sheet with cooking spray (or line with parchment paper).
- In a small bowl, mix the cheese, chili powder, and cumin.
- Place the sheets of phyllo on a flat surface and cover them with a damp towel.
- Remove the first sheet and coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of the cheese mixture on the sheet.
- Add another sheet and coat that with cooking spray and 2 teaspoons of cheese, too.
- Keep going until you have a total of 4 sheets stacked on top of each other.
- Lightly roll over the sheets with a rolling pin to press them (and the cheese) together.
- Using a serrated knife, cut into 8 strips and transfer those to the baking sheet.
- Repeat steps 4 through 8 with the rest of the phyllo dough.
- Bake until the cheese straws are crisp and golden (8 to 10 minutes).
- Cool on wire racks.
|Per serving (3 straws):||47 calories (19% calories from fat), 3 g protein, 2 g total fat ((1.0 g saturated fat), 4 g carbohydrate, 0 dietary fiber, 4 mg cholesterol, 134 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||1/4 carbohydrate (1/4 bread/starch), 1/2 fat|