Cold Artichoke Starter
This appetizer recipe has plenty of delicious flavors in it: artichokes, capers, shallots.
To bring out the full flavor, make this Cold Artichoke Starter the day before and let it rest in your refrigerator overnight. That will allow the flavors to mingle.
- 1 can small artichokes
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 2 shallots, minced
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely minced fresh herbs (any mix of the following: chervil, dill, thyme, or tarragon)
- 1 teaspoon capers, rinsed
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- juice and grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 hard-cooked egg white, finely chopped (optional)
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the shallots, parsley, herbs, capers, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, and olive oil.
- Using a sharp knife, cut chilled artichokes into quarters. Combine with shallot mixture.
- Sprinkle with chopped egg white, if using, and season with salt and pepper (to taste).
|Per serving:||72 calories (40% calories from fat), 3 g protein, 4 g total fat (0.5 g saturated fat), 10 g carbohydrate, 4 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 83 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||2 vegetable, 1 fat|